Note- I may earn commissions from affiliate links on certain pages at no extra cost to you. Thank you if you use my links, I really aprecciate it. Read Disclosure.
Do you want to stand out on pool deck with a new Speedo tech suit this swimming season? Well, in that case, you’ve come to the right place. In today’s article, we will be taking a look at the 6 best Speedo tech suits currently available for competitive swimmers.
Jumpring straight to the sciene, we take a look at a study conducted at the Laboratory of Clinical and Exercise Physiology and published in the Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine by researchers Jean-Claude Chatard and Barry Wilson.
The study looked at the effects on swimming performance when wearing a tech suit compared to normal training suits.
The study concluded an overall performance benefit of roughly 3.2% when wearing tech suits compared to normal training suits. There were also findings that tech suits could reduce drag in the water by approximately 4.4 to 6.2%, as well as reducing the energy cost of swimming by roughly 4.5 to 5.5%.
These findings show that tech suits have the ability to greatly reduce passive drag, allowing for decreased energy cost while swimming, as well as an increased stroke rate and distance per stroke in the water.
With that being said, let’s take a look at the 6 best Speedo tech suits to enhance your swimming performances.
- 7 Best Speedo tech suits to crush it in the pool
- How to choose your Speedo tech suit: a few things to consider-
- Benefits of Speedo tech suits: looking at some of the physical enhancements-
7 Best Speedo tech suits to crush it in the pool
Here are the best speedo tech suits-
- Speedo LZR Pure Intent tech suit
- Speedo LZR Pure Valor tech suit
- Speedo LZR Racer X tech suit
- Speedo LZR Elite 2 tech suit
- Speedo LZR Racer Pro tech suit
- Speedo PowerPlus Prime tech suit
- Speedo Aquablade tech suit
<–Scroll to view full table on mobile–>
|Speedo tech suit||Recommended events For Suit||Material composition||Our rating||View latest price on SwimOutlet|
|Speedo LZR Pure Intent||All 50, 100, and 200 events||66% polyamide, 34% elastane||10/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo LZR Pure Valor||Long distance, IM, and breaststroke events||65% nylon and 35% lycra||10/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo LZR Racer X||All 50, 100, and 200 events||65% nylon and 35% lycra||9/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo LZR Elite 2||All events||65% nylon and 35% lycra||8/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo LZR Racer Pro||All events||75% nylon, 25% lycra||8/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo Powerplus Prime||All events||71% nylon, 29% lycra||7/10||>View latest price|
|Speedo Aquablade||All events||80% polyester, 20% lycra||6/10||>View latest price|
1. Speedo LZR Pure Intent
The Speedo LZR Pure Intent is one of Speedo’s latest and most innovative tech suits. It’s absolutely packed with awesome features and has a great overall design. The LZR Pure Intent tech suit is aimed more at sprinters and middle distance swimmers.
The compressive and flexible construction of the suit makes it ideal for any stroke and will assist you with some fast swimming.
The suit features textured fabric zones allowing for targeted drag reduction. It has dual compression layers and intelligent muscle compression built-in. The Speedo LZR Pure Intent also allows for maximum range of motion and its band technology allows for a powerful leg kick for maximized swimming speed.
All in all, the Speedo LZR Pure Intent is an awesome tech suit with great features allowing for enhanced swimming performances.
Features and benefits of the Speedo LZR Pure Intent tech suit-
- The Speedo Pure Intent has dual compression layers in its design, this will allow for intelligent muscle compression, ultimately enhancing blood flow to your muscles which will help you to maintain speed when you get tired.
- The suit has an ergonomic seam construction, when this is combined with the dual compression layers it allows the suit to connect critical muscle groups for an increased power output while racing, ultimately helping you to swim faster.
- The Pure Intent has a triple fabric construction with bonded seams, allowing the swimmer to have a greater range of motion in the water. This is great for ensuring that you’re able to generate maximal power with each stroke and kick, no matter what the stroke.
- Textured fabric zones in the suit target drag reduction for enhanced swimming performances and more best times.
- New band technology in the Speedo Pure Intent allows for a powerful leg kick while racing, helping to power you to the wall at the end of your race.
- The premium waistband engineered to reduce water ingress, ultimately lowers drag and resistance and helps you to stay light and fast while swimming
- The durable and lightweight construction of the suit features a material composition of 66% polyamide and 34% elastane.
- One of the most expensive Speedo tech suits available.
- Men’s jammer leaks at the back if you don’t put it on properly.
2. Speedo LZR Pure Valor
The Speedo LZR Pure Valor tech suit was released alongside the LZR Pure intent. And it’s another feature bundled tech suit built for fast swimming and impressive performances in the pool.
The main difference here is that the Speedo LZR Pure Valor is designed more as a multi-racer suit, making it great for IM and distance swimmers since it offers lower compression and more freedom of movement. Other than that, a lot of the features are very similar to the Pure Intent.
Overall, the Speedo LZR Pure Valor is a great tech suit with some excellent features. I highly recommend this suit if you are more versatile in your swimming events.
Features and benefits of the Speedo LZR Pure Valor tech suit-
- Lightweight design with a material composition of 65% Nylon and 35% Lycra keeps you agile in the water and primed for fast swimming.
- The Speedo Pure Valor has moderate muscular compression, making it a good suit for middle-distance, long-distance, and I.M swimming events since it won’t feel to tight when wearing for long periods of time.
- Compressive inner leg seams allow the suit to provide greater muscle support while racing, which will help you to maintain speed and power from your legs when you start to fatigue.
- The Pure Valor suit is designed and constructed to support an increased range of motion in the water, allowing for 100% natural movement when swimming.
- Flat-bonded seams and improved finishes for optimize your hydrodynamics and reduce drag in the water, helping you to swim as fast as possible.
- The Pure Valor also has new and improved leg- and waist-bands, built to reduce water ingress, allowing for reduced drag and increased durability of the suit.
- Expensive price point.
3. Speedo LZR Racer X
The Speedo Speedo LZR Racer X has been around for a while now, but nonetheless, it still remains one of the best tech suits available. Like all of the other Speedo suits, it offers some great features designed for improved swimming speed.
The design of the suit makes it ideal for all swimming events, but I would recommend it mostly for 50, 100, and 200 swimming events.
The Speedo LZR Racer X has a comfortable and lightweight design and has some cool body position- and core stabilizing panels built-in, ultimately reducing overall drag while swimming. It also features some great muscle compression and allows for complete range of motion in the water.
All in all, the Speedo LZR Racer X is a great tech suit with some good features. Sure, it’s slightly older than the Pure Intent and Pure Valor, but it still remains a viable option for most swimmers and the slightly lower price point might just cut it for you.
Features and benefits of the Speedo LZR Racer X tech suit-
- Enhanced targeted muscle compression ensures that your muscles are activated and ready for faster swimming while enhancing blood flow where needed.
- Flexible construction allows for natural freedom of movement while swimming, ensuring that you are able to generate maximum speed with each kick and pull.
- Vertical Stretching, the suit allows swimmers to stretch mostly vertical and not horizontally propelling you forward in the water and maximizing your speed.
- Lightweight design with a material composition of 65% nylon and 35% lycra ensures that you stay agile in the water.
- Body position and core stabilizing panels allow for a better body line and increased abdominal activation while you are swimming.
- The suit contains support seams for increased muscular awareness and improved body position which reduces your drag in the water.
- Bonded seams ensure for optimized hydrodynamics and lower drag.
- Sizing is off and can make it hard to find the right size for you.
4. Speedo LZR Elite 2 tech suit
The Speedo LZR Elite 2 tech suit is one of Speedo’s most popular tech suits. Similar to the other suits it also packs a butt-ton of awesome features. The LZR Elite 2 is manufactured from advanced low-drag fabrics and it contains world-class tech allowing for maximized performance.
A unique feature is the muscle compression technology that allows the body to be molded into an efficient hydrodynamic shape. The suit is also pretty lightweight and contains a 3-piece pattern to allow for maximum range of motion in the water.
All in all, the Speedo LZR Elite 2 is a great tech suit with some unique and innovative features packed into its design.
Features and benefits of the Speedo LZR Elite 2 tech suit-
- Full body muscle compression allows for reduced muscle oscillation while molding the body into an efficient hydrodynamic shape for optimized swimming speed.
- Ultra-lightweight design with a material composition of 65% nylon and 35% lycra ensures that you stay light in the water.
- The 3D 3-piece pattern creates a compressive and comfortable fit while allowing full range of motion in the water, making the tech suit ideal for all swimming events.
- It contains core stabilizing- and internal compression panels to improve body position and reduce drag, helping you to swim as fast as possible.
- Bonded seams reduce skin friction and drag by 6% helping you to swim faster and win more gold medals.
- The Speedo LZR Elite 2 has 40% more durable water repellency when compared to the older Speedo tech suit, allowing you to save some money.
- Limited color options.
5. Speedo LZR Racer Pro
The Speedo LZR Racer Pro is an advanced tech suit produced by the collaboration of experts in the fields of aeronautics, engineering, and physiology. It has a sleek and speed optimized design and contains some good features.
Similar to most other Speedo tech suits the design of the suit makes it ideal for any swimming events which is great if you swim a lot of different events.
The LZR Racer Pro features a 3-piece pattern design built for increased comfort and range of motion. It contains some good muscle compression and water repellency while presenting a hydrodynamic and lightweight design.
Overall, the Speedo LZR Racer Pro is a good option, definitely slightly older when compared to the other suits, but still loaded with some solid and practical performance-enhancing features and as a bonus, it also comes in a lower price point.
Features and benefits of the Speedo LZR Racer Pro tech suit-
- The compressive and hydrodynamic design allows for effortless speed while swimming.
- 4-way flat seams maximize comfort and range of motion in the water, making the suit ideal for all swimming events.
- Lightweight design with a material composition of 75% nylon and 25% lycra ensures for maximal speed while swimming.
- The Speedo LZR Racer Pro is manufactured from Speedo’s pulse fabric allowing for premium compression and water repellency as well as reduced muscle oscillation and skin vibration which results in lower drag and higher swimming speed.
- The 3-piece pattern creates a comfortable fit while allowing for a full range of motion and optimizing the swimmer’s body shape for optimized swimming efficiency.
- Affordable price point for a good tech suit with solid features.
- Sizing of the suit is inaccurate.
6. Speedo PowerPlus Prime tech suit.
If you’re looking for a great budget tech suit with some seriously solid features, then the Speedo PowerPlus prime is perfect for you. The PowerPlus Prime comes in at a far lower price than some of the new Speedo suits and it still packs some good specs.
The suit offers a lightweight design and provides good muscle compression. The 2-way stretch fabric makes the suit quite durable and allows for complete freedom of movement in the water, once again making it ideal for any swimming event.
Additionally, the advanced back seams help to stabilize large leg muscles during each start, turn, and kick while increasing the snapback effect for added power.
All in all, the Speedo PowerPlus Prime tech suit is a really good option if you are looking for a suit with some solid features and a budget price point.
Features and benefits of the Speedo PowerPlus Prime tech suit-
- The design contains a 2-way stretch fabric renowned for excellent shape retention and muscle stabilizing compression which will help to optimize your swimming speed.
- Seam bonded outer and inner fabrics create a secure feel while providing adequate amounts of muscle compression for enhanced swimming performances and more best times.
- Lightweight design with a material composition of 71% nylon and 29% lycra.
- Taped leg openings ensure a secure and compressive fit allowing the suit to stay in place during fast swims without compromising your performance.
- Engineered back seams stabilize leg muscles during each start, turn and kick and allow for a strong snapback effect.
- Affordable budget price point.
- Durability not the best.
7. Speedo Aquablade Tech Suit
The Speedo Aquablade is Speedo’s cheapest tech suit currently available, making it a good option for anyone looking for a budget Speedo tech suit. The performance on the suit is good and the features will allow for enhanced swimming performance.
The Speedo Aquablade is a good suit for all swimming events, but I would recommend this suit more to younger age-group swimmers or anyone looking to buy a tech suit for the first time since it does lack many of the high-end features which will probably upset a lot of competitive swimmers who are used to fast and feature-packed suits.
All in all, a good tech suit with some nice features and a good price point.
Features and benefits of the Speedo Aquablade tech suit-
- Stripe technology creates a channeling effect to maximize your efficiency in the water by reducing drag, allowing you to swim faster.
- The Aquablade has a compressive fit that will allow for optimal muscle activation and enhanced blood circulation, allowing you to maintain speed when you start to get tired.
- The suit features a longer leg design which will help to cover more surface area, reducing drag as a result and helping you to win more gold medals.
- Lightweight and comfortable design with a fabric composition of 80% polyester and 20% lycra ensures that you stay agile in the water.
- The budget price point saves you money.
- The durability of the suit lacks meaning you’ll have to replace it every now and then.
How to choose your Speedo tech suit: a few things to consider-
Before picking up your next Speedo tech suit, there are a few things that you might want to take into consideration in order to choose a suit that would best fit you and your swimming needs.
1. Tech suit size and fit
One of the most important aspects to take into consideration when choosing your Speedo tech suit is the size and fit of it. A tech suit should have a tight and compressive fit for maximum performance benefit, but at the same time, if you choose a suit that is too small, you could possibly restrict yourself in terms of freedom of movement while swimming.
An ideal size and fit will allow the tech suit to feel as if it is holding your muscles together while providing some muscular compression and muscle activation without causing blood circulation or range of motion to be restricted.
For the large majority of swimmers, this fit is going to be 2 sizes smaller than your training suit. I don’t recommend going any bigger than that since you may lose some of the performance enhancements.
It is, however, important to take into account that each swimming brand has different sizing for their suits. So if you have an Arena training suit, that might not be ideal for choosing your Speedo tech suit. Instead, I’d recommend you to check out the Speedo tech suit sizing guides.
For women, you may also want to consider the back style of the suit. Women’s tech suits come in 2 main styles- open back (X shape) or closed back (V shape). Open Back provides a bit more breathing space, while the closed-back variant comes up higher and covers more skin surface.
On women’s suits, the straps should also be taken into consideration. They should be tight and comfortable, but not so tight that they restrict movement while swimming. I recommend looking at your favorite fitting practice suits to see which back style they use and to then get the tech suit that is most similar.
2. Tech suit fabrics
The tech suit fabric is another important aspect to consider when choosing your Speedo tech suit since the type of fabric can affect a suit’s overall compression and water repellency.
If you want a super water repellent and compressive tech suit, then it shouldn’t have more than 75% nylon. On the other hand, if you want a bit of a more comfortable suit then a higher nylon content usually isn’t bad.
Don’t stress too much about water-repellency in that case since the suit will usually have an additional water-repellent coating slapped on.
On the other spectrum of things, you should also keep in mind that tech suits are built for speed and maximum performance while swimming, not for comfort. So if you are willing to opt for a bit of a more of an uncomfortable suit, you will usually receive some other benefits and features in return.
3. Performance of the tech suit
Tech suit “performance” is a good factor to take into account, but it’s also a slightly harder one to judge, especially for swimmers who have only had one or two tech suits throughout their swimming career.
As you become more familiar with your Speedo tech suits, you will learn how the suits function, what performance benefits they provide, and what features you prefer and enjoy while racing. If you’re like me, you’ll play around with your suit a bit once you get it.
Usually, I’ll see how far I can glide from a dive and push-off in my new suit. I’ll also do some short sprints in each stroke to test the range of motion, making sure it doesn’t restrict me in any way possible, and also to get a feel for the compression of the suit.
Benefits of Speedo tech suits: looking at some of the physical enhancements-
1. Muscle compression allows for faster swimming
All tech suits have some form of muscular compression built into their designs due to the awesome performance benefits that come along with this feature.
Compression allows blood to circulate through your veins at a higher tempo, allowing for faster replenishment of oxygen and other nutrients to the muscle tissue.
It also allows other toxins such as lactic acid to be flushed out faster, ultimately extending the amount of time you can swim fast before muscles start to tighten up and burn.
2. Tech suits can increase stroke rate and stroke length while decreasing drag.
Multiple studies have proven tech suits to increase stroke rate essentially allowing you to swim faster.
For example, in a study from the faculty of sports sciences at the University of Rouen in France, there was concluded that tech suits had the effect of improving glide and reducing drag in the water. This created an environment for swimmers where they were able to exert faster stroke rates and improve swim performance.
In total, 15 elite swimmers were used to determine the differences in swimming performance with and without a tech suit, which ultimately led to the results above.
Speedo offers some of the best tech suits currently available. They have and will always be one of the world’s leading swim brands due to their intense effort and research put into producing each tech suit and swimming product that they have to offer.
I highly recommend their tech suits to swimmers who are looking for a boost in the pool. There is no doubt that tech suits can improve swimming performances. This is done by drag reduction, increased blood circulation, improved hydrodynamics and so on.
Tech suits can assist you in breaking that record, winning that gold medal, or crushing that qualifying time.
It is still important to remember that they are just an add-on for success. The majority of your results are going to come from training hard, eating healthy and staying consistent with your swimming.
More related swimming articles-
Source 1– Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine
Source 2- Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Rouen