Note- We may earn commisions from affiliate links on certain pages at no extra cost to you. Read Disclosure & Your Privacy Rights
Are you looking for the best pair of swimming fins to dominate your training and become a better and faster swimmer? Well, in that case, you have come to the right place because in today’s article we will be taking a look at the 15 best swimming fins for training.
Swimming fins can play an important role in assisting us to develop better swimming technique, as well as enhancing our body position in the water. They can also help to reduce stress on our overworked shoulders, this is especially useful for swimmers who are dealing with shoulder injuries.
Fins were, however, mainly developed for improving our kicking technique, allowing for more power output in the water and ultimately leading to faster swim times when we race, they can also increase our strength and endurance in the water, once again making us better swimmers in the long run.
15 Best Training Swim Fins For Swimmers
Here are the best swimming fins for training-
- Arena Powerfin Pro swim fins
- TYR Hydroblade swimming fins
- Finis Edge training fins
- MP Alpha Pro swim fins
- Finis Z2 Gold Zoomers swimming fins
- Speedo Biofuse training fins
- TYR Crossblade training swim fins
- Arena Powerfin Hook swimming fins
- Kiefer training swim fins
- TYR Sport EBP Burner swim fins
- Speedo Short blade training fins
- Capas Short Blade Silicone Swim Training fins
- Hydro Tech 2 swim fins
- DaFin swimming fins
- Churchill Makapuu swimming fins
1. Arena Powerfin Pro swim fins
The design features a sloping surface and hydrodynamic slits at the top, ultimately allowing you to swim with a faster, better and more controlled kick.
The Arena Powerfin also presents an open heel design allowing you to have maximized ankle flexibility while kicking. This will ultimately contribute to a faster upward motion in your kick and a more powerful down kick.
Another huge bonus of these swimming fins is the superior comfort levels while wearing, this is great when doing one of those long and grueling fin kicking sets during training.
All in all, this would be my number one pick when it comes to choosing training fins as a swimmer. They look good, have a lot of features, the design is high-quality and they are comfortable.
Here are some features of the Arena Powerfin Pro swimming fins-
- The high-quality design allows for a very durable and super comfortable swimming fin.
- Inclined blade design results in maximum forward thrust while kicking.
- The short blade allows for high-frequency and fast kicking.
- The Arena Powerfin Pro contains special cuts at the bottom to increase the power of your kick.
- The open heel design of the Powerfin Pro maximizes ankle flexibility resulting in improved kicking performance.
2. TYR Hydroblade swimming fins
The Hydro blade swim fins are engineered to promote short and fast kicking mechanics through the legs and feet. The fins allow for a natural kicking pattern and provide superior comfort while wearing.
Overall, the TYR Hydro blade swimming fins are a great pair of fins more than suitable for a training environment. Their high-quality design, unique features, and silicone composition all contribute to a comfortable, effective, and long-lasting swim fin.
Here are some features of the TYR Hydro blade swimming fins-
- The Hydro blade fin design allows for superior comfort levels while wearing.
- The design allows swimmers to achieve maximum range of motion and ankle flexibility while kicking.
- Innovative heel strap ensures a secure and comfortable fit while swimming.
- Rounded edge design prevents any possible discomfort in the foot cavity of the fin.
- 100% Silicone material composition allows for very durable swimming fins.
3. Finis Edge swimming fins
These fins do, however, also have a few other design features that focus on different parts of the kick. Firstly, they have built-in side rails. These rails will allow for increased hip and quadricep activation when you are kicking resulting in stronger legs.
They also have a slightly bigger surface area on the actual fin blade, causing your legs to work harder. The Finis Edge swimming fins are also designed to catch water on the upwards motion of your kick, this time allowing for increased hamstring and glute activation.
Additionally, the Finis Edge Fins are manufactured from flexible and durable silicone making them very comfortable to wear.
Overall, these are a solid pair of training fins, they have a good durable design while placing emphasis on all of the necessary technique and training features.
Here are some features of the Finis Edge swimming fins-
- The design brings a comfortable and high-velocity swimming fin to the table.
- The proprietary blade angle mimics the natural extension of the foot allowing for faster kicks while swimming.
- The Finis Edge swim fins have built-in “smart fin” technology combining the blade angle and hydrodynamic vents for a natural kicking cycle with instant forward propulsion.
- The increased surface area and reinforced side rails allow for a proper kick when swimming at high speeds.
- Targets large muscle groups while swimming allowing for increased leg strength.
- The open heel and toe design increases range of motion and toe space for a comfortable and fast kick cycle.
- Silicone material composition allows for a very durable swimming fin
4. MP Michael Phelps Alpha Pro swim fins
The MP Michael Phelps Alpha Pro fins are a very odd-looking pair of fins. This is, however, done for a good reason- the asymmetrical design of the fin allows for a natural kicking movement through the water.
Additionally, the MP Alpha Pro fins are also supposedly 70% lighter than traditional rubber fins, allowing for increased comfort and enhanced body position while swimming.
The short blade design of the MP Alpha Pro fins is made to mimic race pace kick tempo, allowing you to train at faster training speeds, ultimately improving your kick and overall leg strength.
These fins also have a rigid foam construction, ensuring for increased propulsion in the water.
All in all, the MP Alpha Pro fins are a great pair of training fins, despite their very odd look. They have some excellent features built-in and will ultimately allow you to become a better and faster swimmer.
Here are some features of the MP Alpha Pro swimming fins-
- The asymmetrical design of the MP Alpha Pro swimming fins ensures natural kicking mechanics.
- Approximately 70% lighter than traditional swimming fins.
- The design allows for a very comfortable swim fin.
- The short blades of the MP Alpha Pro swimming fins are designed to mimic race pace kick tempo.
- The rigid foam construction ensures enhanced propulsion in the water.
5. Finis Z2 Gold Zoomers swimming fins
The Zoomers are very comfortable swimming fins, this is due to their improved foot pocket, formulated from soft rubber.
The short blade design of the FINIS Zoomers, encourage shorter, faster and more powerful kicks while training, making them ideal for improving your swim kick and ultimately becoming a better swimmer in the long run.
Unlike some of the other training fins on our list, these fins feature a closed heel design creating a soft and secure fit, whilst allowing for hyper ankle flexion in the water.
The blade angle of the Zoomers is designed to work in contrast with the natural angle of the foot, allowing for a proper and powerful kick while swimming.
Overall, these are a really solid pair of swimming fins packed with excellent features. The Zoomer fins will definitely suffice for all of your training needs as a swimmer.
Here are some features of the Finis Zoomer swimming fins-
- Highly comfortable full foot pocket
- The Zoomer’s design allows for hyperflexion of the ankles while kicking.
- The design allows for increased propulsion while swimming.
- The shorter fin blades promote shorter and faster kicks while making the legs work harder ultimately improving your kick over time.
- The Finis Zoomer swim fins are orientated around fitness, resulting in increased leg strength and higher levels of cardiovascular conditioning.
- The fluid separator feature allows your feet to slice through the water with ease.
- Flexbox causes the fins to grab water on the up kick resulting in stronger hamstrings and glutes.
6. Speedo Biofuse training fins
These fins feature a contoured foot pocket, aimed at increasing the comfort levels while wearing. They also have a stiff blade design, allowing you to deliver maximum power and increase your kicking strength in the water.
The Speedo Biofuse training fins are great since they were designed with the aim of increasing speed through the water, power in your legs and ankle flexibility, ultimately allowing you to become a faster and better swimmer.
All in all, these are a really solid pair of training fins. They have a comfortable and quality design and will assist you in becoming a better and faster swimmer in the long run.
Here are some features of the Speedo Biofuse swimming fins-
- Manufactured from a blend of hard and soft silicone to allow for comfortable and durable training fins.
- The design is aimed at improving strength and endurance capabilities in your kick.
- Contoured foot pocket allows for unparalleled comfort while swimming.
- The stiff blade design of the Speedo Biofuse swimming fins allows for maximum power output while swimming.
7. TYR Crossblade training swim fins
This essentially means they place emphasis on the most important aspects of your kick in the water. They have a mid-range fin blade, allowing for more water to be grabbed while kicking making it harder to kick and ultimately increasing leg power.
The soft rubber foot pockets of the TYR Crossblade swimming fins also allow for maximized comfort and ankle flexibility.
All in all, the TYR Crossblade training fins have a basic and classic fin design, but they still pack some great features allowing for an excellent training experience.
Here are some features of the TYR Crossblade swimming fins-
- Soft rubber foot pockets allow for maximum comfort while wearing.
- Multi-purpose training fins designed to improve your swimming.
- Shaped to conform around the foot ensuring for a secure and comfortable fit while kicking.
- Intermediate blade length combines the attributes of short and long blade fins to increase tempo and speed while providing adequate resistance for increased leg strength.
- Design and material composition allow for a long-lasting training fin.
8. Arena Powerfin Hook
The Arena Powerfin Hook is almost like the little brother of the Arena Powerfin Pro, they feature a short blade design to help you develop a stronger, more powerful kick in the water.
Additionally, the soft silicone design of these fins also allow for maximized comfort and ankle-flexibility while wearing.
Overall, the Arena Powerfin Hook is a simple, yet practical and well-designed swimming fin suited perfectly for all of your training needs as a swimmer.
Here are some features of the Arena Powerfin Hook-
- Short and firm blade designed to improve kicking speed and power.
- The exclusive sole design allows for maximum comfort and prevents blisters on feet.
- The diamond-shaped tip ensures maximum propulsion while swimming.
- Soft silicone design ensures a highly comfortable and durable swimming fin.
9. Kiefer training swim fins
The Kiefer training fins have short blades, ultimately assisting swimmer to improve their kicking mechanics and efficiency in the water. The fins also have a flexible foot pocket allowing for a comfortable and secure fit.
The fins are very durable and comfortable due to their unique manufacturing process using only top-quality rubber and silicone.
Overall, the Kiefer training fins are a great pair of swimming fins with all of the essential features required for improving your kick and becoming a better and faster swimmer.
Here are some features of the Kiefer swimming fins-
- A soft and flexible foot pocket allows for a highly comfortable swimming fin.
- Made from 100% high-quality rubber allowing for a very durable swim fin.
- The short, curved and firm blade of the Kiefer swimming fins is designed to increase kick strength without overworking muscles.
- The Kiefer swimming fins won’t restrict range of motion in any way, shape, or form.
10. TYR Sport EBP Burner swim fins
The EBP Burner training fins are built to mimic race day kicking tempo, ultimately allowing you to become a better and faster swimmer. The fins ensure for an elevated body position and provide just enough propulsion allowing you to zone in on perfect stroke technique.
Overall, the TYR EBP burner swimming fins have a great design and some excellent features for improving swim speed and kicking mechanics.
Here are some features of the TYR EBP Burner swimming fins-
- The short blade is built to mimic race day kicking and swimming tempo.
- The TYR EBP training fins have a high buoyancy rubber EBP construction allowing for enhanced comfort and durability.
- Unique wall gripper footpad helps to keep your feet anchored during flip turns and push-offs.
- An ergonomic foot pocket design decreases any possible tendon strain while allowing for increased ankle strength and flexibility.
- Rubber construction allows for a durable and long-lasting swim fin.
11. Speedo Short blade training fins
The Speedo short blade training fins are a great pair of swimming fins built for developing a stronger, faster, and enhanced kick in the water. Additionally, the short blade design of the fins assists you in maintaining a proper kick and enhanced stroke while swimming.
The Speedo Short Blade training fins are built to maximize comfort allowing you to use them for long kicking sets. They are manufactured using 100% silicone allowing for a very durable swimming fin.
All in all, a good pair of training fins, simple and basic, with good comfort and a nice overall design built for developing a more powerful and enhanced kick in the water.
Here are some features of the Speedo Short blade swimming fins-
- The Speedo short blade swimming fins are designed for optimal comfort while swimming.
- Performance is a key driver and the fins are built to balance propulsion and kicking tempo, ultimately improving kicking mechanics.
- The design helps to create the natural flow of a flutter kick while swimming.
- The 100% silicone design ensures a comfortable and durable swimming fin.
12. Capas Short Blade Silicone Swim Training fins
The Capas swimming fins are a training optimized pair of swimming fins with a great design and a nice bundle of features thrown in as well. These fins are built from high-quality rubber allowing for a secure and comfortable fit in the water.
The Capas swim fins will allow swimmers to increase leg strength, as well as speed and endurance. They also feature a short blade design to promote faster and more powerful kicks while training.
Overall, a great pair of swimming fins with a classic and stylish look and some nice features built into their design.
Here are some features of the Capas Short Blade training fins-
- The Capas swim fins are optimized for swim training by assisting swimmers to build leg strength and increase speed and endurance.
- The foot pocket is constructed from soft and high-quality rubber to provide a secure and comfortable fit while allowing for hyperflexion.
- The short blade design is aimed at promoting shorter and faster kicks while enhancing propulsion in the water.
- The Capas swimming fins are optimized for all of the swimming strokes.
13. Hydro Tech 2 swim fins
The Hydro-Tech 2 swimming fins are a unique pair of fins ideal for training conditions. They are branded as an ocean swimming fin, but by looking at some of the specifications it is clear that these fins will also be great for competitive and recreational swimmers.
A big plus from the Hydro-Tech 2 fins is that they use a T form, allowing for a really comfortable fin. They have a patented V rail design, allowing for greater thrust in the water, ultimately strengthening and improving your kick as time passes.
The Hydro-Tech 2 fins also have efficient draining holes, allowing water to quickly flush out of the fin, as not to anchor you down and ultimately allowing you to focus on what you should be doing- swimming to the best of your ability.
Overall, the Hydro-Tech 2 swimming fins are a good option for swimmers looking for classy and unique swimming fins with a great overall design and some good features bundled in as a bonus.
Here are some features of the Hydro-Tech 2 swimming fins-
- Ergonomic foot pocket design ensures maximum comfort while wearing.
- The design allows for superior range of motion and ankle flexibility while swimming.
- The silicone design promotes a very durable and long-lasting training fin.
- Designed for maximum power output and increased leg strength in the water.
14. DaFin swimming fins
The DaFin swimming fins are a great pair of swimming fins with a nice overall design and a large number of features. They are originally branded as surfing fins, but by looking at some of the features on these fins it is clear that they will be more than suitable for both competitive and recreational swimmers.
The Dafin swimming fins have a high-quality rubber construction allowing for a highly comfortable and durable swim fin. The fins are lightweight and the double density rubber design promotes a snap-back effect for increased power while kicking.
Overall, the DaFin swimming fins have a great design with some nice features built for optimized kicking mechanics, whether in a pool or in the ocean.
Here are some features of the DaFin training fins-
- Very lightweight design with ultra-comfortable foot pockets.
- The balanced double density rubber design allows for the perfect snap-back effect while kicking.
- Built-in side rails improve range of motion and maneuverability in the water while forcing the fin to flex exactly at the most critical point.
- The V-shaped foot pocket and stiff blade design work together as a unit to create maximum acceleration, resulting in more thrust per kick and faster swimming.
- Rubber design allows for a comfortable and highly-durable swimming fin.
15. Churchill Makapuu Swim Fins
The Churchill Makapuu swimming fins are a unique pair of fins with some great features and a pretty cool design. They were originally designed for surfers, but like we have figured out by now- these types of fins are also great for training purposes a lot of the time.
The Churchill Makapuu swimming fins feature a unique dolphin tail design allowing swimmers to achieve maximum kick thrust and speed while swimming. The stiff fin blades also ensure increased leg strength and enhanced kicking mechanics and tempo.
All in all, the Churchill Makapuu swimming fins feature a great overall design and some pretty neat and unique features that can assist you in becoming a better swimmer.
Here are some features of the Churchill Makapuu swimming fins-
- The unique dolphin tail design ensures enhanced thrust, faster kicking and swimming speeds, and better overall performance for swimmers.
- A higher bend line of the swimming fins allows the swimmer to achieve a more powerful and propulsive kick.
- Enhanced stiff fin blades and side rails allow for maximized kicking power.
- The Makapuu swim fins ensure for ultimate comfort by utilizing natural rubber for a soft and supple foot pocket.
- Optimized drainage hole allows water to efficiently escape your fins ultimately reducing drag.
6 Reasons why you should use swimming fins in training
Now that we have discussed what some of the best training fins for swimming are, let’s look at a few reasons why you should consider picking up a pair for training purposes.
1. Swimming fins can improve body position and stroke technique
Body position and technique is without a doubt one of the most important factors in swimming. Competitive swimming is all about swimming as fast and as efficiently as possible.
This can not be done when you have a lot of resistance in the water and that is exactly where body position and technique comes in. They are some of the most important factors when it comes to reducing resistance in the water and it should be in your best interests to improve it as much as possible.
The biggest difference between novice level and Olympic swimmers is their ability to maintain a good and efficient body position in the water. Simply put- Olympic swimmers have the lowest levels of resistance while swimming and that is why they are the fastest.
Yes, power output and things like that are important too, but those factors come after body position and technique, which are far more important when it comes to swimming.
Fins can help you to improve your body position and swimming technique, by allowing you to focus on certain parts of your stroke without having to worry about kicking the entire time since the fins will take care of that aspect of your swim.
2. Fins Improve kicking technique and mechanics
Fins can also be specifically used to assist in improving your kicking technique and power output in the water. When you slap on a pair of fins, it’s like adding surface area to your feet.
This will require you to kick more water. When you do this, you will be able to gain a feel for the water and you will figure out new ways to enhance propulsion and force while kicking.
For example, you might notice that you don’t feel as much power when kicking upwards, with your fins, this might signal that you either aren’t kicking upwards properly, meaning you need more range of motion or that you simply aren’t applying enough power to your kick.
3. Swimming fins can reduce stress on your shoulders
Swimming places a lot of stress on our shoulders. Swimming with fins every once in a while will help to reduce some of that resistance by allowing us to gain more power from kicking instead of pulling.
If you are experiencing shoulder pain, it might not be a bad idea to throw on a pair of fins to reduce some of the stress on your shoulders and assist with the recovery process, before it becomes a serious injury.
4. Training fins increases leg strength and endurance
Like I mentioned earlier, fins increase the surface area of your feet. With this added surface area, comes added resistance in the water. This resistance will require your body to recruit more muscle fibers in order to move the added water.
This will cause tiny micro-tears in your muscles due to the added resistance that your body isn’t used to. Once the muscle has repaired itself you will be stronger and faster and endurance may even have increased.
5. Fins Improve ankle flexibility
Ankle flexibility is an important part of kicking technique. When kicking the feet are responsible for gripping onto the water and building speed. If you don’t have adequate ankle flexibility you will have trouble doing this.
Ankle flexibility develops over time, but applying fins can increase the rate at which you develop it. Over time this can help to improve your overall kicking mechanics and speed in the water.
6. Swimming fins allow for race pace training with less effort
There is no doubt that swimming with fins can help you train at paces otherwise impossible. When you train with a pair of fins you can train at racing pace, without actually having to apply the same amount of force and energy in the water.
This can help you to focus on certain aspects of your race, where you might need some extra attention. It will essentially make it easier to train at race pace and focus on specific aspects like your hand entry or your head position, instead of only being able to do it once or twice when you are actually racing.
Swimming fins are a critical piece of training equipment for the modern-day competitive swimmer. They have a lot of important features that can help to improve our kicking mechanics and swimming speed.
They also help us to focus on other aspects of our swimming such as race pace training or improved technique and body position. They can even assist us in dealing with shoulder injuries by removing some of the tension created by pulling.